Thursday, December 1, 2011

Inspection Report says: Cracked Foundation

Being in real estate for several years, I have seen and read many, many inspection reports. Agents and sellers fear them, buyers freak out when they read them and overbearing underwriters will screw up a deal over them. (That just happened a few weeks ago) Ugh!

When a buyer pays for a home inspection, the licensed inspector will look at all of the operating systems. They will check out the plumbing, central heat & air, electric, roof, among other things and of course, most importantly, the foundation.

I live in an area where there are primarily, old, historic homes. Read: They need work!

Typically, homes here have lots of charm and character, but they need cosmetic work and updating to meet current code regulations and modern living "requirements". :)

I say this with a smile because it is amazing what people "require".

"I want a wonderful, large historic home with lots of character, central heat and air, 2 or more bathrooms, lots of great storage and walk-in closets!"

Okay Rocky! Watch me pull a rabbit out of the hat!

It doesn't exist.

Old homes were small.

Those people only had like three outfits a piece when their homes were built.
Walk-in closets were not necessary.

Inside plumbing was a luxury back then. So, probably not going to find 2+ bathrooms.

Most educated buyers are aware of this and fine with that fact and they will often make a purchase after first finding out that the "bones are good."

Inevitably, I hear this too, "Oh! There are cracks in the plaster on the wall!"

Knowingly, I nod, "The house has been here since 1863...yep, there are some cracks."

But is the foundation solid?
Is it? Is your foundation solid?

Ironically, I've noticed recently that mine is cracked. :)
Seriously.

Most of these homes are on pier and beam which tend to move around a little depending on weather conditions.
Many have settled.

Settling is not fun.

There is a crack in the southeast cornerstone of my house and I know that it needs to be fixed.

To begin making repairs, the foundation must be set solid and firm.

Luke 6:49 says, "But anyone who listens and doesn't obey is like a person who builds a house without a foundation. When the floods sweep down against that house, it will crumble into a heap of ruins."


I need a foundation expert.
I also wonder if that's the real, hidden meaning behind the story of The Three Little Pigs?

The first house was made of straw.
The second was made of sticks.

And finally, the third little pig built a solid home that couldn't be huffed and puffed and blown away.
He built a home out of bricks.
Bricks are solid and they must be set on a firm foundation.

In 1 Cor. 3:10, Paul says, "Because of God's special favor to me, I have laid the foundation like an expert builder. Now others are building on it. But whoever is building on this foundation must be very careful. For no one can lay any other foundation than the one we already have—Jesus Christ. Now anyone who builds on that foundation may use gold, silver, jewels, wood, hay, or straw."

Huh.
Maybe James Orchard Halliwell-Phillipps was aware of this verse also.
He's the wig wearing guy that wrote the Three Little Pigs and had it published in the mid 1800's.
Apparently he attended Jesus College in Cambridge.

According to Wikipedia of course.

 I assume he probably learned at his Jesus College the importance of building on a strong foundation in Christ.

I love to build sandcastles, but as pretty as they are and as much fun as they are to make, when the tide comes...they always wash away. As does everything else I've ever tried to build on my own.

As I am rebuilding, I pray.
Lord, help me to build (or rebuild) on that which cannot be shaken so that when the Big Bad Wolf shows up again, I shall not fear, but know that the skilled and trustworthy builder of my life has built this house with His very own hands.

Huff and Puff all you want fur face.
I'm still standing strong.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Let's get a conversation going...Share your thoughts here..I'd love to hear them!