Thursday, April 4, 2013

Winter Jammin and Slammin'



I wondered how this Easter could Out-Awesome last year.
Air 1 radio always has an Out-Awesome contest....Like, which is more awesome, Coffee or Tardis?
I still don't even know what a Tardis is.

Fortunately, it ended up coming quite close. Easter that is.
In 2012 I attended BRCC (Bandera Road Community Church) and they had a portable petting zoo with a baby pig there.

Just a month or so later, "Pig's Big Adventure," would be available on Amazon, West Bow Press and Barnes and Noble....(plug).
But still, it was great encouragement for me to get to snuggle the snout of a real pig shortly before my very first children's book being published.

This year, our Easter activities included a somewhat disturbing game on my mother's front lawn and WinterJam with a gazillion of my favorite bands including Sidewalk Prophets and others...
Let me just tell you...It was jam packed!

We got there two hours early and still had to stand in line.
Out loud I said to my line mates, "When exactly...does that whole 'the last will be first and the first will be last' thing come into play?"

And no, in case you wondered, telling the special pass people that you feel like you might be rockin' some favor will not get you through the doors any quicker.

You have to have a fearless leader willing to force favor.
Like the one who led an entire youth group of 20 plus kids in red to cut in line in front of us.
Awesome.
I'm not always a glowing example of goodness either so I jokingly said, "Really? You're teaching the youth, tomorrow's leaders, today.... to budge in line... Ni-i-i-ice," with a big smile.

The adult leader was extremely offended and barked back at me, "She was holding a spot for us!"
Oh!
I see! I'm sorry.
Try that little manuever when you're knocking on heaven's door buddy.
You budged in line. Just own it dude!

Finally, we got in but every time we tried to enter the arena, the black curtain guards would abruptly pull them shut with great, 'Sorry you can't see the wizard,' power and yell, "There's no more seats!! There's no more seats!!!"

Eventually, we were able to get in and were directed to go up.
Waaaaay up.

Oh my gosh....I can't breathe...I seriously have a fear of heights, my head is spinning I think I'm going to throw up....
Up.

There were two entire rows available on our right, but, another fearless leader was standing with both feet blocking the first chair of each not letting anyone pass with great Alpha male arrogance.
"Nope. You're not getting in here. These are saved," he offered ever so rudely.

Maybe you know the type.
I only explain, so you can feel like you were there. :)

"Yes, Yes I am wearing my super cool khaki shorts to show off that I still have great legs and yes, yes, I was the star football player back in my Bruce Springsteen, Glory Days, so I am going to so totally stand here and strut my super manly self, while holding these seats like a jack&%$, until my twenty seven year old trophy wife and her other hot friends show up, pretending the whole time that I am completely unaware that my giant belly is hanging a good 6 or 7 inches over the front waist band of my Dockers while I treat the rest of you people with uncamouflaged disdain."

Bleck!
Really? So does mine, but still....
Okay, so I wasn't feeling too hot myself and the constant queasiness was making me all the more susceptible to caddyness and calling out others for their stupid bullyish behavior under my breathe.

Trembling with fear from head to tow, I finally was able to take my seat in the very last row, at the very tippy top of the AT & T center.
There would be no standing and worshipping tonight.
There would be no sweat inducing dancing when my beloved Toby Mac came out to sing, "Boomin!"

But wait.
Maybe so? Maybe so?
Because as I silently apologized for mocking SuperStud a few rows below, the holy spirit started working on me and whispering to me....and reminding me.
"Don't look down, honey. Only up."
"Don't even look around. Only up."

When I looked down and around, my head started spinning and I felt a knot of fear and trembling well up in me. Thousands and thousands of people below...just specks of movement from the highest point in the arena....don't puke...don't puke...

But.....When I looked UP at the jet black ceiling and spinning, starry strobe lights....I felt better.
Much better!

Such it is in the Great Rock Concert of Life.
Such a great reminder.
Don't look down. Only up.
Not around. Only up.

Psalm 34:4 NIV says, "I sought the Lord, and he answered me; he delivered me from all my fears. (including my fear of heights that night) Those who look to him are radiant; their faces are never covered with shame."

Matthew 17:8 says, "When they looked up, they saw no one except Jesus."

I also have to say that when I looked at Matthew West on the big screen....
I saw no one except Jesus.

A total man of God....Radiating and Rocking the power and favor...ushering in the very presence of a mighty God who has saved a seat for all of us.
Talk about Out-Awesome-ing!

I realize that as the contest continues, "Mary's: Walking in on Jesus' Empty Tomb in Real Life," vs. "Me:So Surprised that I Got to see Matthew West Again the Next Morning at Church,"
 she wins hands down...
But it was still a pretty awesome Easter!

'Cause my God IS an awesome God!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let's get a conversation going...Share your thoughts here..I'd love to hear them!