Sunday, July 8, 2012

Have You Missed the Latest Issue?



One of the hardest things for me to do is to stand silently in the check out lane, without caving and purchasing one of the latest cooking magazines.

I have my favorites.
Every Day with Rachel Ray.
Bon Appetite.
Food Network.
Paula Deen.

And of course, because I live in Texas, Southern Living.
But then it occurred to me...I haven't received the latest issue in my mailbox??

And that's when I remembered that I did get a renewal notice, okay, I probably got like four...but I forgot to send any of them back in.
Bummer.


'Cause I could really get behind baking up a Red Velvet Berry Cobbler!

Not that I need more magazines.
I'm packing.
And realizing that I am in fact, a magazine hoarder.

I don't like to buy them at the stand, and prefer to get them in the mail.
But, I guess it would help if I would renew.
It's cheaper that way, and I don't miss any 'issues'.

Often I reflect on everyday events and happenings to try and see the bigger picture, often looking for life lessons as opposed to cooking lessons.

Picture a Pineapple Upside Down Cake.

God seems to use regular, boring mundane things to help me live a little more sane.
And I appreciate that.
So as I'm thinking about how stupid I was to not renew on time, he began nudging me about renewal.

And how much easier it is to keep renewing and maintaining my mind, as opposed to having to perform a full blown exorcism from the garbage that can collect up in there for days on end.


Therefore, producing some seriously stinky fruit.
Fruit you would not want to use in a cover cobbler for sure!
Some days I am better prepared than others.

"Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is...his good, pleasing and perfect will." Romans 12:2

Oh man! I loooove that verse!

Now, while I'm not 100% sure it's his will that I have all, "42 Ideas for Porch, Patio and Garden," I am
convinced that it would totally be his will for me to have, "42 Guys and a Truck," help me move the trainload of crap that I need to haul back to the big city.

Here is how I am 'handling' the renewing of my mind during this somewhat scary move after 13 years of living in my Mayberry known as Mason, Texas.

When my mind starts cooking up things like;

"Nothing is really going to change."
"You're not going to make it."
"You are ruining your daughter's life."
"You don't know what you're doing."
"No one wants you there either."
"Where has God been in the middle of the mess you're already in?"
"You are still not good enough."

I have to constantly argue back, "God knows the plans he has for me. They are plans to prosper me and not harm me. They are plans to give me hope and a future."

"Fear not, for I am with you."


"He will restore the years that the locusts have eaten."


"If God is for me, who can be against me."


"Greater is he that is in me, than he that's in the world."


"I am perfectly and wonderfully made."


"I am the righteousness of Christ."


"I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength."


"Create in me a pure heart, Oh God...renew a steadfast spirit within me."

Perhaps it's not so pure to inwardly pine and whine for the blueberry/strawberry parfait on the July cover of Southern Living.
But I have to tell you...
I did just that last night in Dollar General, and mentioned it to no one.

Today, at exactly 3:50 p.m., I got a text from my good friend Kim Corbitt.

"I made you a birthday parfait and I will be at your house in five minutes!"

:D
WHOOP-WHOOP!!

I can't wait to see what he does with, "Small Budgets, Huge Makeovers!"


"He will give you the desires of your heart."


I highly recommend becoming a SUBSCRIBER!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let's get a conversation going...Share your thoughts here..I'd love to hear them!