Monday, July 2, 2012

Hide and Seek...Where are YOU?

I've recently had the opportunity to take over my daughter's babysitting job, mostly because I needed the cash, but also because I really do enjoy it.

Probably, because I'm about five years old myself on most days and it's just super fun to play with small children who are not yet old enough to be burdened with bills, Obamacare, life changing decisions and world peace.

So I play.
Colton recommended a game of Hide and Seek.
I love Hide and Seek!
Except when you're playing with someone who keeps breaking the rules.

When it was his turn to count....he tried to peek.
When it was his turn to hide...he kept hiding in the same place over and over again.

Amusing how God uses simple things like a children's game to teach me lessons.

'Cause I do the same thing.
I hide in my back yard.

And feel much like Adam and Eve probably did when God called out, "Where are YOU?"
Lower than a snake belly.

But, instead of trying to cover myself with fig leaves, I rub my nasty little smoking fingers with basil leaves or branches from the fragrant rosemary bush.

This is the not so, "Feeling the Garden of Paradise Party Walk", back into the house trying to go undetected.

(On a side note, several days ago, I slinked in with sunglasses and hurriedly rushed to the bathroom for a quick mouth swish, only to realize that I'd rinsed my mouth with Mr. Clean I'd left on the counter where I usually keep the Crest Total Care.)

How ironic since I just did the Dirty Girl Meets Mr. Clean Blog a few weeks ago.

OMGosh!!
I know, I know.
Trying to remain on the Down Low, only makes me feel Low Down!!!


It is a lame and foolish attempt on my part and also Adam & Eve's to try and remain hidden.
How silly to think we can actually hide our disobedience from the creator of the universe?


I blame no one but myself. 
I'm not pointing fingers and saying, well, so and so...who is also pointing and saying, well, so and so...
I'm owning it these days.

And I know, that he knows, that I know, that he knows, where I'm really hiding.
I've always wondered why he even bothered to ask where they were, being omniscient and all.


He knew where they were...so why ask?

I read an interesting take on this from Charles Spurgeon who pointed out something I'd never thought of.


After their iniquity, Adam and Eve did not go running around the garden shouting out to the Lord, "Hey, God!!! Heeeerrrreeee weeee aaaarrrrre!! We totally screwed up, did exactly what you told us NOT do, and we want to talk to you about it! Where are YOU?"

No. It didn't go down like that at all.
God went after them.
Just like a lost sheep will not find it's way back into the fold on its' own, he must be found by the Shepherd.

Spurgeon writes, "The first cry is the voice of Grace, “Sinner where are you?” God comes to man; man seeks not his God. Despite all the Doctrines which proud free will has manufactured, there has never been found from Adam’s day until now a single instance in which the sinner first sought his God! God must first seek him."


Wow! 
And thank God we have an awareness of our sin, and that in itself is a gift, of Grace.


While, "Fools make fun of guilt, the godly acknowledge it and seek reconciliation." Proverbs 14:9 


So are we hiding....or are we seeking?
If you're like me...you sometimes take turns doing both.


"Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and he will give you everything you need." Luke 12:31
I could use some "everything." 

"Seek his will in all you do, and he will show you which path to take"...Proverbs 3:6 
I could use some "direction."

"For the Son of Man came to seek and save those who are lost." Luke 19:10

I'm not really lost.
I know where I'm at, and I'm also grateful that I'm not where I was.

Sometimes I still try and hide in the same spot.
Waiting for him to come find me.
When he gets to 10.
One Mississippi, two Mississippi, three Mississippi....

He doesn't even need to try and peek!!!
He already knows where I am.

And yells, "Found ya!" :D

2 comments:

  1. Tina, I liked what you wrote and the way you wrote it.

    The style you use is nice too. Maybe makes me think a bit of Joyce Meyer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh WOW!! Thanks so much!! That is a very awesome & encouraging comment! I love Joyce!! I appreciate you taking the time to provide feedback :))

      Delete

Let's get a conversation going...Share your thoughts here..I'd love to hear them!