Wednesday, June 26, 2013

How I Will Get Nominated for The Suckiest Mom Award....

Sometimes I plan dinner parties in my head.

Even though I have about as much space in my kitchen as I do in my head, the invite list is getting longer and longer.

Congratulations Lysa Terkeurst, you’ve just been added to my imaginary shabby chic dining table.
I watched her on a Women of Faith webcast last night and was completely in awe.

Maybe because she has my dream job.

Maybe because she inspired me and made me laugh out loud.

She told a story about her daughter who wanted to take up pole vaulting. And I had to laugh out loud.
Trust me, Lysa, in my house, “See Ya at the Pole” has taken on a whole new meaning…

I will totally be buying, “Unglued,” this week!

It was powerful to hear her talk about the challenges of being a mother and a Proverbs 31 woman. In particular, verse 15 that says she, “gets up while it’s still night.”

But maybe, just maybe, instead of meaning ”getting up while it’s still dark”, maybe it means, she just gets up and keeps going…even when it’s dark?

Even when you can’t see the forest through the trees.

I woke up this morning without the alarm clock at 4:48 am.

Hawk Nelson was pumping through my head as I layed in bed, “If you wanna live out loud, throw your hands up…”

I’ve wanted to throw my hands up alright!!

This has been a Hall of Fame mom week for me and not in a good way.

I have a daughter I love very much and it is probably the most challenging relationship of my life.

Her name is Tara, it means, “Strong Tower,” and she is 24 years old.

This is my girl who would smile and sing with me at the top of our lungs, one worship song after another in the front seat of our suburban, while her sisters slept soundly in the back.

This is My Girl who would hear the word of God and feel his presence from head to toe.

This is My Girl who asked God into her life and wrote a song called, “God is Famous,” at 8 years old!

This is also the same girl who stole the communion wine from church, got drunk, and drove my suburban up onto the lawn while I was at Lowe’s buying paint for her bedroom.

This is the same girl who hid from the police and lived under my pier and beam house for days while they searched for her because she did some other ridiculous thing.

The same girl who got kicked out of school for snorting Lucas on the walking trail, threw water balloon condoms down the hallway and barfed all over the sheriff’s ostrich boots in the Short Stop parking lot for all to see.

Giant blue wad of gum on the boot toe and all.

I love this girl!

What I have to keep reminding myself is how much God loves this girl.

Still, as a mom, I beat myself up daily for all of the could have’s and should have’s.

This past week she came to my apartment after I’d already told her, “Sorry, No.”

There was a light tap on the door.

Sadly, my other daughter looked through the peep hole to confirm, ”Yep, it’s her.”

So….I did what every good, Jesus loving mother would do.

I turned down the t.v., turned off the lights…

And hid.

Nice, huh?

I always claim that God’s promises are for me and my children and my children’s children
It’s in Acts.

If that chapter has anything to do with drama, we’ve got that down pat.

In Psalms it says, I was young and now I am old, yet I have never seen the righteous forsaken or my children begging bread.

I’ve seen it. It’s not pretty.

I am a child of God, and so is she.

THEREFORE, I will keep believing the promises God has given me.

He WILL restore the years the locusts have eaten and we will one day, serve Him, as a family.

Forgiven.

I love you, Tara.


 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let's get a conversation going...Share your thoughts here..I'd love to hear them!