Friday, May 4, 2012

May Day! Door knob Do-hicky or Distress Call?

A few days ago (now that I'm almost finished with this blog), it was May 1st, and in my enthusiasm to salute spring, the celebration of Motherhood, Cinco de Mayo and the last month of school, I had hoped to adorn the neighbors door knobs in true May Day fashion.

As a little girl, on this special day we would make hand made baskets out of things like Dixie Cups or paper plates and decorate them beautifully.

Next we would tie little ribbons through the top and fill each one with assorted tasty treats like popcorn (I'm a corn girl, I love all things corn) miniature candy bars, Hershey's kisses, a few little flowers we'd pick from the yard, etc...

Then we'd run around like special op agents hanging them on friend's and neighbor's doors, ringing the bell and running off to hide somewhere while we watched for their smiling faces to appear happy and surprised.

Some surprises are not so grand, but this was a fun way to brighten people's day and also a great reason for my friends and I to get together, get crafty and eat chocolate.

Many times I've mentioned it to friends here in Texas, well, probably 15 times to be exact, every year since I've been here anyway.

I'm always sadly reminded that not many people here have a clue what I'm talking about.
I was happy to see a Facebook post the other day from Connie, who apparently also has fond memories of the holiday.

I was excited to think about making my own baskets and pondering what little goodies I could put in them, but found myself quite distracted with the other kind of May Day.

You know, the one that you call out if you are in a dire emergency and in need of some assistance.
MAYDAY!
I read that you are supposed to send out the distress call three times and only if it is a serious emergency that could result in death or destruction of a vessel.

Lol! Indeed there may be death or destruction as I had the opportunity to celebrate my own three Mayday shout outs.
And although I'm not at liberty to elaborate on any of them at this point, because, well, go back and read my Duct Tape Doctrine blog that pretty much sums up, "shutting your big fat mouth" as my mom would say. :)

Mother May I?

My personal motherhood experiences are not so much gracing the covers of any Hallmark cards, though I am aware of how entertaining, yet not so endearing they would read.

Tragedy plus time equals comedy, I've recently read.

Maybe if they start carrying card stock "Jerry Springer type" sentiments...
Oh, no wait, who knows, maybe the new best selling line could be the, "No More Wire Hanger Greetings."

I may have to submit some samples of my work.

"Congratulations on not getting your butt kicked in jail!
You've always been a fighter!" 


:D


Anyway.... back to Mayday!!!
During my nine hour drive the other day, It registered in my brain that it was May Day, but I would absolutely not be making any Martha Stewart handmade baskets.

Instead, I fancied myself to be a lot like the guy standing on the bridge of the titanic when he realized with wide eyes, "Oh wow! That is a really BIG iceburg!"

I wonder if he, like me....just for a minute or two wondered what it would feel like to hit it.
The iceburg.
The reverse rudder was not working.

Will some nice mom remind me again why we celebrate Motherhood?
Am I the only one who would have been screaming, "No! Get your own wood door for a flotation device! There's not enough room for us all, you're drowning me, get off already!"

Oh sure....it started out as a walk on the water with Jesus kind of day but ended up with the distress call.
Mayday! Mayday! Mayday!

I learned in an in depth, five second study that a Mayday Relay is a call that someone else makes for you if you are unable to make the call for help on your own.

Aaaaha!! Now I'm on to something.
"Hello? Coast Guard?"
No wait.
"Jesus? Beloved water walker?"
"I'll bring you some pretty popcorn filled baskets if you promise to keep us all from drowning!"

"A shout for help brought their partners in the other boat, and soon both boats were filled with fish and on the verge of sinking." Luke 5:7

If I'm going down...the tasty fish are going with me!

Happy Cinco De Mayo a day in advance.






 















No comments:

Post a Comment

Let's get a conversation going...Share your thoughts here..I'd love to hear them!