Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Live Debt Free

I admit it.
I'm in debt up to my eyeballs.
Probably all the way up to my eyebrows.
My daughter and I were just discussing the other day how desperately we both need to be "tweezed".
Not to be confused with "tazed"...that was a discussion I had with one of my other daughters. :)

Gone are the days of getting our brows waxed and pretty pedicures.
Don't misunderstand me. I'm no Paris Hilton.
I didn't even get my first pedicure until I was 40!
But, wow! when I did...

Gone are the days of walking through Target, HEB or American Eagle and not even looking at the price tag.
Needy teenager presents the item, the tag is inspected, the shocked and horrified face follows, said item goes back on the rack with an, "Ugh! We can't afford it."

Paul, the wise and wonderful apostle said that he has had plenty and he has had nothing.
He also said the key is learning to live contently with whichever situation you are in.
Okay, I get it.
I'm content.
But, I'm just going to be straight up honest and say, "Being broke is no party!"

Faith is the only thing I've got in my savings account right now.
Ditto with the checking.
In fact, the last time I checked, I realized once again how much I am in fact, "The $500.00 Debtor."

I think about my mountainous debt situation and am reminded of the first story I ever heard when I walked into a non-denominational church years ago.
The story that brought me to my knees.
I will never forget Luke 7:36, or the priceless lesson I learned from it.

"Learning to live debt free in 700 AD!!"
Just kidding. I have no idea what decade this happened in.

Here was a woman with a tainted reputation.
Uninvited, she crashes a dinner party at some religious guy's house.
Not because she particularly wanted to dine with the Dead Sea Elitists, but because she heard he was in town and absolutely had to see Jesus!

She brought a beautiful alabaster jar filled with expensive perfume and knelt behind him, weeping and wiping her tears from his feet with her hair; kissing, caressing and putting perfume on them. I get that. I would have done the same thing. I think about what it will be like when I finally do, and I drop on a dime.

The Pharisee who invited him saw this and scoffed to himself, "If this man were a prophet , he would know what kind of woman is touching him. She is a sinner!"

Can't you just imagine his disgust and arrogant demeanor?
Jesus answered his thoughts and said, "I've got something to tell you."
"Go ahead."

"A man loaned money to two people-500 pieces of silver to one and 50 pieces to the other. But neither of them could repay him, so he kindly forgave them both, canceling their debts. Who do you supposed loved him more after that?"
Simon answered, "I suppose the one for whom he canceled the larger debt."

Ya think?
I heard that story and the red button bank alarm inside of me went off loud and clear.
I am the $500.00 debtor!

For years my girls have given me a hard time for becoming emotional during worship, or just randomly out of nowhere driving down the road. I've tried to explain to them just how indebted I feel and how I know that I cannot ever even begin to repay my debts.

Not without Jesus anyway.

I understand that woman far more than I understand those in leadership who've followed the letter of the law.

I have been forgiven so, so much....and so, I love much.
Jesus paid my debts. All of them. Every last penny.

This is my favorite part of the story;
After he was done giving Simon the hard line of "Hey, Buddy...you didn't even offer to wash my feet, greet me with a kiss or dab a little canola holy oil on my head....but this woman has not stopped kissing my feet since the minute she walked in."

Jesus went on to say, "I tell you, her sins, (and they ARE many), have been forgiven; so she has shown me much love. But a person who is forgiven little, shows little love."

Then Jesus said to the woman, "Your sins are forgiven. Your faith has saved you. go in peace."

I really wasn't kidding.
Faith is all I have in my savings account right now.

The same faith that has saved me and the same faith that will bring his promises to come to pass in my life.
Promises like, "I am rich in every way, (though not currently reflected in my bank account)...just yet!"
I believe the word is true and I've got faith.
Then I'll be thanking Jesus, bawling all over the place, and grateful as he** that I can finally get my toes done once again!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let's get a conversation going...Share your thoughts here..I'd love to hear them!