Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Follow the Leader.....More Games with God.

Out on the playground, Follow the Leader was one of my favorite games.
And I loved being the leader.

I led my "friend followers" in skipping, jumping, singing and making silly faces at the cars passing by on the outside of the chain linked fence during recess.
In the elementary school, "Fun Olympics," I was totally the leader!

Since I was taught to take turns, eventually, I'd have to give up the reigns and let someone else lead.
Usually one of the boys would go after me.
Stupid, stupid, boys.
They'd lead us alright, eyes closed, human chain style, right smack into the tether ball pole.

Hilarious.
We trusted them to lead.
Lead me not, into temptation....
Big mistake!


If it is not our turn to be the Line Leader, then who are we following?
Or who might actually be following us?
YIkes!

A few weeks ago I was pleasantly surprised to see one of my favorite teen girls, Savannah, getting jiggy at Zumba class. 
Those 14 and 15 year old girls can shimmy and shake waaaay better than I can.
Let me just tell you, I do not have moves like Jagger!

Occasionally, I don't know why, she would glance over my way and look at my super, uncoordinated dance steps.

"I'm following you, Miss Tina."
"Oh dear God, NO!!" I shot back.
"Do not follow me...You will end up falling into a man hole!"
For real.
She laughed.
"I'm serious."

She just gave me the, 'you're so funny look' and went back to shimmying to "Cocoa-latte."
I could use a latte' about now.

The other day I wrote, "we need fellowship, a hand we can trust and hold that will help lead us to the truth." Then I read something last night by someone else, "hold our hand and lead us...as if we aren't able to find righteousness on our own. Ugh."

Double Yikes!
The statement wasn't about what I said, but it did get me thinking more about what I wrote and how we lead or who we follow.

Yes, we are certainly capable of finding our own way, but I don't think God wants us to go it alone. 

I think about people who've driven and inspired me to be better.
Our personal leaders who were maybe teachers, coaches, bosses, friends...etc...
Pioneers who persevered for the sake of what is good.
Or even best.

We want righteous leaders. 
We want people to stand out and lead by example.
I know I've blown it.
As a Girl Scout Leader, I've had to hike a half a stinking mile, hide behind a tree and douse myself with Cutter Bug Spray on the way back, just so they wouldn't bust me for smoking.
Not ideal.

Some of us are more vulnerable to being led astray.
Even the leaders.
So, who do we follow, which way do we go?

The path of the virtuous leads away from evil, whoever follows that path is safe. Proverbs 16


"I am the Lord your God, who teaches you what is good for you and leads you along the paths you should follow." Isaiah 48:17.


I quit italicizing the verses because quite honestly, it freaks my family out.

They don't really want me shoving Jesus down their throats, and since I'm working on not wanting to choke the crap out of people, myself, or the holy spirit....I've typed it in Times Roman Numeral.
Maybe they won't notice.


How can the blind lead the blind?

Blinded by the light, revved up like a deuce and a runner in the night....
Sorry. Everything has a rock and roll lyric reference in my head. I can't stop myself. :)

Jesus spoke to the people once more and said, "I am the light of the world. If you follow me, you won't have to walk in darkness, because you will have the light that leads to life." John 8:12

Lead me in the right path, or my enemies will conquer me.
Make your way plain for me to follow.

Please do! And I'll be on the look out for man holes!





Jeff Goins says, "If you’re looking to build an audience and turn it into something more than mere numbers, you need help. And that help should come from someone who knows what they’re talking about,"


So, please check out some of my favorite books on leadership:
Joyce Meyer...A Leader in the Making
T.D. Jakes, God's Leading Lady

(hehe...so proud of myself...I figured out how to copy a link AND insert an image)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let's get a conversation going...Share your thoughts here..I'd love to hear them!