Friday, November 4, 2011

Doormats and Welcome Mats

I love the song "3 am" by Matchbox 20.

I especially like the line that says, “She thinks that happiness is the mat that sits on her doorway.”

I get that.There’s a mat on my backdoor that says, “We have a vacuum, we’ve found God and we gave at the office.”

That cracked me up when I bought it years ago and it does in fact, still bring me happiness.In a simple, sort of sarcastic way.

Ya have to track with me here for a minute because when I hear the song, I think of the mat, and when I think of the mat I think of the man that Jesus healed down by the water.

You know, the paralyzed one that he told, “Get up! Pick up your mat and walk.”The guy had been an invalid for like 38 years!Jesus asked him, “Do you want to get well?”Mmmhh??Well now isn’t that the $64,000 question.Huh. I’m 44. Do I?

I start to think about the mat, which leads to thinking about me and then takes me back to thinking again about…Jesus.

He healed that man right there on the spot.The man was still making excuses but he healed him.

It says, When Jesus saw him lying there and learned that he had been in this condition for a long time, he asked him, “Do you want to get well?”And the man replied, “Sir, I have no one to help me into the pool when the water is stirred. While I am trying to get in, someone else goes down ahead of me.”

Talk about a doormat!

You would think that after that many years he could muster up enough courage and discipline to at least kind of inchworm his way in. Move maybe just a centimeter a day to eventually end up where he intended to be.

But no. And I get that too.

I could use a healing.I could use some deliverance.
So in my best efforts to have a sincere and honest conversation with my loving God, I say, “Oh,Yes! That’s what I need Lord. I need healed from whatever it is that holds me back. I need delivered. I do want to get well.”

Before I even get a chance to finish my list of needs, I hear his wise whisper.“Honey, I’ve delivered you more times than UPS & FEDEX put together. Now pick up your so-called “welcome” mat and walk already.”

Yikes!

And since we are being so honest now…It should be said that, I don’t really have a vacuum cleaner…I’ve definitely found God…and I really did give at the office.

I guess I better get walkin'!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let's get a conversation going...Share your thoughts here..I'd love to hear them!