Wednesday, November 9, 2011

The Duct Tape Doctrine

Duct tape is absolutely a single girl's best friend!




Personally, I've used duct tape to secure the sole of my boot in place and repair torn book covers.





I have used it to secure handles to things like pots & pans, vacuums, brooms, hairbrushes and even to hold up the hem of a skirt!





It's come in handy when I couldn't afford a plumber and needed to stop a leak and also to assist in attaching a bumper to the front of my vehicle.





I've taped cardboard over a window that won't roll up in the pouring rain.





I may have even secured an unruly, temper tantrum throwing 4 year-old to a chair once. I can't remember if that really happened or it was some weird dream...she keeps insisting it happened.

Nice.
I've never claimed to have been jilted out of a Parent of the Year Award.




My mother often tells me that I talk too much and that I really need to learn when to shut my mouth.





And even though as a child I always got good grades, in the comment section of my report card the teachers usually felt compelled to write things like, "While Tina is a joy to have in class, sometimes, she talks too much."





My first grade teacher, Mrs. Gadke wrote it like it was a bad thing, something that my mother should definitely do something about..I think she went so far as to say "Tina can be very disruptive in class with her excessive talking."





Really? Really? Now, why'd ya have to go and put it like that?





Geez. I always raise my hand! I'm a participator. I like to talk. I like to discuss and I like to share.





Here I am now nearly middle age, and apparently still do not have down the elementary teachings of that basic concept.





I think it's a conspiracy.





This past week, my pastor advised us that sometimes we just need to imagine covering our mouths with duct tape.





Having a paranoid personality like I do, this is what I heard, "Tina...Shut your mouth!"





Last year I spent a lot of time with a guy friend, you know, one of those godly type of guys...and it sometimes nearly drove me "crazy."

I would complain that he isn't sharey enough and after he was done politely defending himself with, "If I were any more chatty.....I'd be a girl!" :)



He would go all scriptural on me and explain it in terms I could easily understand.


The word says that, "talking too much leads to sin. Be sensible and keep your mouth shut."




I'm thinking, "Have you been talking to my mother?"




"Or Mrs. Gadke perhaps?"


Geez Louise. That's Proverbs 19:20 by the way.

And then there are a gazillion other verses that address how we should watch what we say.




Out of your mouth comes blessings and curses. Don't let this be so.





Out of the heart, the mouth speaks.





It's not what goes into your mouth that defiles you, you are defiled by the words that come out of your mouth.





Those who control their tongue will have a long life but opening your mouth can ruin everything.





Watch your tongue and keep your mouth shut, and you will stay out of trouble.





The tongue of the wise makes knowledge appealing, but the mouth of a fool belches out foolishness.





The heart of the godly thinks carefully before speaking; the mouth of the wicked overflows with evil words.





Oh my gosh! These talking Proverbs are never ending!




Apparently, what we say is pretty important to God.





I will take this moment right now to repent of every idle word and sarcastic remark I've made and I will try and do better to think before I speak.





My mom used to say, "If you don't have something nice to say, just don't say anything at all!"





This, from the woman who called me Bongo Lips. :)





It's fine. I'm over it.





I might be a talker, but I'm also a forgiver.





And besides, people pay big bucks to have lips like these.


Love ya, mom.

We've all heard the childhood chant, "sticks and stones can break my bones but words can never hurt me." That's ridiculous! Of course words hurt.




They can linger in your mind and be very destructive if not battled with the truth.

Our mind and our mouth is a battlefield.




Ironically, Duct Tape was originally invented in 1942 during World War II. It was used as a sealing tape on ammunition cases. Mmmhh? Interesting.





In 1970, NASA astronauts used it as an emergency repair on Apollo 13 to work on the command module.





So, in my efforts to be more Christ like, a little less self-centered, and with the holy spirit as my sass meter....I will try harder to command my mouth!





Without the extreme use of duct tape!!





Unseal my lips Lord, that my mouth,





(big and chatty as it is)





may praise you! Psalm 51:15

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let's get a conversation going...Share your thoughts here..I'd love to hear them!